Steven R. Kabler
Denver, CO 80202
Steve Kabler represents businesses and individuals in federal, state and administrative courts in commercial litigation, including real estate, construction and healthcare disputes.
Steve has represented clients in a broad range of matters, including professional disciplinary matters, contract and property disputes, fraud claims, employment contract matters, commercial and construction disputes, professional negligence claims, and insurance matters. He has successfully represented clients in jury trials, trials to the court, and appeals.
As a former Senior Assistant Attorney General for the State of Colorado, Steve represented the Board of Medical Examiners, Board of Dental Examiners, Board of Nursing Home Administrators and other professional regulatory agencies. As General Counsel to the Board of Medical Examiners, he advised the Board on all aspects of regulatory, disciplinary and licensing matters including Board regulations and policies.
- Breach of contract involving business purchase and sale agreements, insurance agreements, distribution contracts, commercial property development contracts, and commercial leases
- Breach of employee benefits plans and employment contracts
- Business torts, fraud and breach of contract actions
- Consumer Protection Act claims
- Recovery and defense on promissory notes and guarantees
- Medical Board complaints and investigations
- Other professional disciplinary actions, including dentists, nurses, nursing home administrators and other health related fields
- Enforcement and defense of non-compete agreements
- Practice dissolution disputes
- Hospital and peer review proceedings
- HIPAA Compliance Issues
- Professional licensing
- Anti-competitive conduct claims
- Medical practice separation/dissolution disputes
Construction and Real Estate Litigation:
- Commercial development construction disputes
- Commercial and residential construction defects actions
- Boundary disputes
- Mechanic's lien disputes
- Commercial eviction
- $12,500,000 judgment in employment contract dispute between executives and former employer.
- Defense of commercial real estate developer and its principals against fraud and other business torts brought by purchaser of regional retail shopping center.
- Defense of direct broadcast satellite television provider against breach of contract for the distribution of international film and television content.
- Defense of national homebuilder in multi-family residential construction defect claims.
- Appeal resulting in adoption of new Colorado common law concerning uninsured motorist contracts.
- Representation of physicians before the Board of Medical Examiners
- Represented State of Colorado in more than 100 professional regulatory actions, including substandard care, boundary issues, disability issues, substance abuse, fraud claims and injunctive actions.
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas (1995) (Law Review, Order of the Coif, American Jurisprudence Awards – Constitutional Law, Property)
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Kansas (1991)
Honors / Distinctions
- Volunteer instructor for University of Denver School of Law, Lawyering Practice Class, 2007-2008
- Author - “Availability of Treble Damages in PIP Claims,” Trial Talk Magazine, Spring 2001
- Reported Cases: Mavashev v. Windsor Ins. Co., 72 P.3d 469 (Colo. App. 2003)
- CLE presentation: "Using and Preparing Expert Witnesses" – Presented to the Colorado Attorney General's Office.
- CLE presentation: "How Does Administrative Law Impact Your Clients, From a Litigator's Perspective" – Presented by the Denver Bar Association.
Admitted to Practice Before
- State of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Colorado Bar Association – Litigation and health law sections.