Ross Pulkrabek represents businesses and individuals in civil trials and commercial disputes. His practice emphasizes litigation of claims for legal malpractice and other forms of professional negligence, business fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, securities fraud, and insurance bad faith.
Mr. Pulkrabek has tried several cases, both as plaintiff's counsel and defense counsel. He also represents clients in appeals to Colorado appellate courts.
Mr. Pulkrabek graduated with honors from the University of Colorado, School of Law, where he was Notes and Comments Editor of the University of Colorado Law Review and a Teaching Fellow in the legal writing program. He received his bachelor's degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. Before entering private practice, Mr. Pulkrabek clerked for Chief Justice Mary Mullarkey of the Colorado Supreme Court.
Mr. Pulkrabek regularly represents clients who have been the victims of fraud in the context of the purchase, sale, or merger of a business, or who have suffered losses due to questionable investment schemes. Such cases frequently involve potential claims for malpractice against lawyers, brokers, or other professional advisors.
Mr. Pulkrabek is a contributing author to the Lawyers' Professional Liability in Colorado series as well as the Colorado Courtroom Handbook for Civil Trials. He lectures at continuing legal education seminars on topics involving lawyers' professional liability and civil trial procedure.
Mr. Pulkrabek is a member of the American Bar Association, the Colorado Bar Association, and the Denver Bar Association. He is active in the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and has had the honor of representing that organization as amicus before the Colorado Supreme Court and successfully defending the organization against improper efforts to subpoena confidential information. Mr. Pulkrabek is licensed to practice in state and federal courts in Colorado.
Before joining Jones & Keller P.C., Mr. Pulkrabek practiced law at Starrs Mihm & Pulkrabek LLP and Faegre & Benson LLP.
Specific Areas of Practice:
Professional Liability Litigation
- Legal Malpractice
- Real Estate Broker / Business Broker Malpractice
- Stock Broker / Investment Advisor Malpractice
Fraud and Business Tort Cases
- Misrepresentations Made in the Purchase or Sale of Businesses
- Breaches of Fiduciary Duty
- Employee Fraud and Embezzlement
- Trade Secret Theft and Unfair Competition
- Interference with Business Opportunities
- Fraudulent Transfers / Concealment of Assets
Partnership Disputes and Minority Shareholder / Member Oppression
- Business Dissolutions
- Receivership Actions
- Minority Owner Squeeze-Outs / Freeze-Outs
- Self-Dealing and Diversion of Business Assets
Insurance Bad Faith Litigation and Coverage Disputes
Honors / Distinctions
- Top 100 - 2014 Colorado Super Lawyers
- 2013-2014 Colorado Super Lawyers
- 2009-2012 Colorado Rising Stars - Professional Liability: Plaintiff
- Outstanding Service to CTLA Award, 2010
- Judicial Law Clerk, Chief Justice Mary Mullarkey, Colorado Supreme Court, 1999-2000
- Order of the Coif
- Notes & Comments Editor, University of Colorado Law Review
- Chief Justice Luis D. Rovira Constitutional Law Scholar
- Teaching Fellow, Legal Writing
- Ross W. Pulkrabek and Aaron Goldhamer, Esq., New
- Procedural Rules for Business Litigation: Overview and Strategic Considerations, 61 Trial Talk 1, December – January 2012, at 31.
- Ross W. Pulkrabek, "Attorney Liability for Negligent Misrepresentations Made to Prospective Clients," Trial Talk (April / May 2009).
Ross W. Pulkrabek & Michael T. Mihm, "Liability to Third Parties" in Lawyers' Professional Liability in Colorado, 2nd Ed. (CLE in Colorado, Inc., 2009).
- Ross W. Pulkrabek & Michael T. Mihm, "Common Law Legal Malpractice Claims by Clients" in Lawyers' Professional Liability in Colorado, 2nd Ed. (CLE in Colorado, Inc., 2009).
- Ross W. Pulkrabek & Bob Weiss, "Lawyer Advertising" in Lawyers' Professional Liability in Colorado, 2nd Ed. (CLE in Colorado, Inc., 2009).
- Ross W. Pulkrabek, "Collecting Fees" in Lawyers' Professional Liability in Colorado, 2nd Ed. (CLE in Colorado, Inc., 2005 & Supp. - 2009).
- Elizabeth Starrs & Ross Pulkrabek, "Post-Trial Motions and Issues," Chapter 22, Colorado Courtroom Handbook for Civil Trials (Victoria Swanson, ed., CLE in Colorado, Inc., 2006 & Supp. - 2009).
- Michael M. McGawn & Ross W. Pulkrabek, "Protecting the Client from Securities Fraud on the Internet," Colorado Lawyer (April 2001).
Lectures and Seminars
- Ross W. Pulkrabek, Pilot Project Rules: Overview and Considerations, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (Denver, CO, Jan. 2012).
- Ross W. Pulkrabek, Damages in Commercial Cases, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (Steamboat Springs, CO, Aug. 2011).
- Ross W. Pulkrabek, Duties to Prospective Clients and Other Third Parties, Colorado Bar Association (Denver, CO, July 2010).
- Speaker, "Ethical Considerations Involving Collection of Attorney's Fees" in Ethics Hot Topics: Internet Marketing, Attorney's Fees and Attorney Fee Agreements, Colorado Bar Association, Denver, Colorado (December 2009).
- Speaker, "Attorneys' Liens" in 2007 Preventing Legal Malpractice Seminars, Colorado Bar Association, Colorado Springs, Colorado (January 2007).
- Speaker, "Discovery Skills for Legal Staff in Colorado," Lorman Education Services, Denver, Colorado (March 2006, August 2006, August 2007)
- Speaker, "Collecting Fees" in 2006 Preventing Legal Malpractice Seminars, Colorado Bar Association, Denver, Colorado (February 2006).
Admitted to Practice Before
- Colorado since 1999
Also admitted in the following courts:
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2004
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Colorado Bar Association (Member Ethics Committee) (Board of Governors, 2006)
- Denver Bar Association (Second Vice President, 2006-2007) (Board of Trustees, 2006-2008)
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (Eagle Member, Sponsor) (Associate Editor, Civil Procedure Column, Trial Talk Magazine)