A highly-experienced business attorney, Ron has particular experience in commercial and residential real estate. Finance transactions, disputes, construction, tax planning and implementing complex transactions involving real estate assets are typical projects. Ron helps his clients identify their goals, clarifies the process, and advises solutions.
His efficient navigation of complex situations makes Ron a trusted advisor. His formative training in a 100+ year Colorado construction family with stints behind the wheel barrows, jack hammers, picks, shovels and hammers give Ron a unique window to a diverse client base.
- With more than three decades of experience in all aspects of real estate law and finance, Ron regularly handles the sale, acquisition, leasing, subdivision, construction and development of vacant land, commercial, industrial and residential projects. Office buildings, condominiums and conversions, and single-family residential developments for lenders, developers, landowners, investors, business owners and banks are a few of his regular projects.
- Ron’s “dirt” and land work includes commercial leases, easements, construction agreements (including liability avoidance planning), property management contracts, agreements concerning surface use by oil and gas producers, land use, zoning and zoning change issues and disputes.
Business and Corporate (Transactions)
Ron advises clients regarding the acquisition and sale of businesses (stock and asset transactions), capital financing transactions, corporate governance, negotiation and drafting of contracts and commercial agreements, and secured transactions.
Ron’s substantial practical experience includes the representation of startup and existing ventures and the negotiation, structuring, drafting, implementation and financing of limited partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations and joint ventures.
His practice also encompasses the negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to shareholders, executive employment (options, warrants and non-competition provisions), and strategic and succession planning.
Ron has advised clients in the development, licensing, disposition and protection of intellectual property rights in the technology industry and other industries.
Highlights of Ron’s Experience
- Negotiation, drafting, financing and closing of the purchase of a $250 million bundled multi-family portfolio followed by conversion to condominiums and resale at an estimate threefold increase in per door valuations.
- Debt restructure of an eight-figure New York Stock Exchange collateralized mortgage obligation (CMO) referred by litigation counsel when options had closed.
- Development and financing representation for a 2,000 acre, golf and destination hotel resort and spa with 1,700 dwelling units, commercial uses and special districts.
- Extensive representations in workouts, including large shopping centers, mixed-use developments, a recreational vehicle park portfolio, a mixed-use high rise condominium and industrial buildings.
- Real estate counsel for several Fortune 100 companies in acquisitions, development, land use approvals, and zoning disputes.
- Representation of a major religious organization on real estate matters, including restructuring ownership of a vast portfolio of significant real estate assets.
- Resolved an eight-figure trespass litigation by adjacent property developer for $0.00 liability and dismissal of claims with prejudice.
- Resolved a complex condemnation action brought by the Colorado Department of Transportation for ten times initial offer.
- Represented property owners in subjacent and lateral support dispute by halting a $450 million development, with a large settlement paid by developer to the client.
- Negotiation of ground leases under high rise office towers.
- Formation of numerous limited liability company, limited partnership, joint venture and partnership agreements, including tax structuring in the real estate context for large tax savings.
- Negotiation of a licensing and marketing agreement between a Fortune 100 computer company and client for a game-changing computer design, development and overseas manufacturing.
- Obtained substantial court-ordered modifications, without so much as a hearing, of a 90-year-old trust with extensive real estate holdings to allow material changes and relief not permitted in the original trust.
- Extensive liability avoidance planning and documentation for multi-family construction, development and condominium projects, several of which resulted in dismissal of construction defects class actions.
- Creighton University Law Review, Editor
- Creighton University Law Review, Published Article
- Judicial Law Clerk, Nebraska Supreme Court, Honorable L. Boslaugh
- Lecturer, Representing the Real Estate Developer (an 18-hour Continuing Legal Education class) for CLE in Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Colorado
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Colorado Bar Association
- Real Estate Section, Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Member, Home Builders Association
- Multiple community activities and charity boards
- Past Board Chair, St. Anthony Hospital Foundation