Kristin Godfrey is a transactional attorney who primarily represents financial institutions, business entities and their owners. She specializes in the areas of business and finance, general corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, real estate and estate planning. Kristin's practice involves multi-state transactions with her representation of banks, business entities and individuals located throughout the Rocky Mountain region and the Southwest. She maintains active licenses to practice law in Colorado, Arizona and Michigan.
- Represents financial institutions and private equity lenders in commercial, real estate, construction and agricultural loans, including loan participations and loan syndicates.
- Represents national and state-chartered community banks in mergers and acquisitions.
- Represents small to medium-sized businesses in a wide variety of matters, including: formation and organization of the business, advising and preparing buy-sell agreements among equity owners, advising officers and directors, drafting and negotiating vendor, trade and other agreements such as non-competition agreements and employment agreements, preparing business succession plans and winding up dissolving companies.
- Represents private-industry buyers and sellers in mergers, stock purchase transactions, and asset purchase transactions.
- Represents both buyers and sellers, and landlords and tenants, in commercial and residential real estate transactions.
- Drafts and negotiates a variety of contracts and agreements, including purchase and sale contracts, deeds, escrow agreements, commercial leases, and easements, and in connection with those transactions title, survey and environmental disclosure review and closings.
- Assists individuals, couples and families with their estate planning needs and advises and counsels her clients regarding testamentary dispositions, inter vivos transfers and gifts, and titling of assets.
- Represents estates in all aspects of the probate process.
- Corporate and borrower’s counsel for developer building boutique assisted-living facilities
- Lender’s counsel in $42 million, four-tranche financing, secured by real estate and oil and gas interests
- Seller’s counsel in sale of 100% of outstanding shares of medical device manufacturing company to publicly-traded Delaware corporation in exchange for cash and stock
- Bank holding company counsel in stock sale transaction of subsidiary bank and debtor-in-possession financing in connection with a petition filed under Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code
- Buyer's counsel in stock purchase of multi-branch local community bank in southwestern Colorado and northwestern New Mexico
- Seller's counsel in sale of Subchapter S corporation bank holding company and three subsidiary national and state banks in two different stock sale transactions aggregating $73 million
- Seller's counsel in merger of Idaho banks and bank holding companies.
- Seller's counsel in merger of Washington-based bank holding company for a mix of cash and stock in purchasing bank holding company
- Seller's counsel in $42 million stock sale to subsidiary of publicly-traded Delaware corporation
- Seller's counsel in conversion of closely-held corporation to Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and immediate stock sale to for $37 million
- Lender's counsel in $10 million financing of solar energy production facilities in and around Colorado
- Lender's counsel in multi-tranche health care receivables financing transaction
- Lead lender's counsel in a $105 million working capital loan syndicate
- Lender's counsel in multi-million dollar development of solar energy sites in Lakewood, Colorado
- Lender's counsel in multi-million dollar golf course and marina development loan
- Local general counsel for several hundred unit, multi-building apartment complex located in Englewood, Colorado
- Seller's counsel in LLC member's sale of equity interests in several real estate development companies and withdrawal from membership in those companies
- Juris Doctorate, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana (1995)
- Bachelor of Arts, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. (1992)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Emerging Risk Areas in Bank Litigation”--Panel Speaker; Colorado Bankers Association Annual Summit, Denver, Colorado, May 2017
- “Right to Work--Navigating Non-Competition and Non-Solicitation Covenants”--Co-presenter; Colorado Bankers Association, Denver, Colorado, March 2017
- “Board & Management Succession” -- Panel Moderator; Western States Director Education Foundation, Community Bank Director Symposium, Scottsdale, Arizona, November 2016
- "Troubleshooting New Mortgage Rules," Colorado Bankers Association Management Conference, January 29, 2015
- "What You Don't Know Can Hurt You", Independent Bankers of Colorado (IBC) Education Foundation, Commercial Lenders' Conference, May 2014
- "Basic Estate Planning", Moms Club of Central Denver, March 2014
- Numerous bank loan documentation and UCC training seminars to mid-level and senior level loan officers
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Banking, 2012 - 2017
- Colorado Rising Stars, Banking and Business/Corporate, 2009
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Bankers Foundation of Colorado, Board Chair, 2010 - present
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Arizona Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
Kristin enjoys hiking the mountains of Colorado and Arizona, skiing, biking and the endless pursuit of improving her golf game.