Laird specializes in taxation including corporate taxation, tax controversy, deferred compensation planning, estate planning, individual tax planning, probate and exempt entities. Laird represents corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, exempt entities, individuals and families with a wide variety of their tax and corporate needs.
Laird represents clients in front of the IRS, state and local taxing authorities in all matters of tax controversy including audits, tax and penalty assessments, offers in compromise, installment agreements and employment tax matters.
Laird assists clients in the formation and operation of exempt entities such as private foundations and public charities, whether the formation of the entity is related to the client's estate planning goals or to address specific needs in the community.
Laird represents personal representatives in the probate process including post-mortem tax planning, probate litigation, and representation of the estate in audits by federal, state and local taxation authorities. Laird also represents trustees in the administration of trusts including the interpretation of trust documents.
Laird also represents internet service providers with compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Representation of independent directors of publicly traded company in a spin-off and merger transaction.
- Representation of a National Bank in the formation of their Trust Department, including the drafting of Trust Department Policies and Procedure for submission and approval by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
- Representation of Oil and Gas Company in negotiation of oil and gas lease in California.
- Representation of Broker Dealer in NASD Arbitration.
- Representation of individuals and businesses in front of the Internal Revenue Service, the Colorado Department of Revenue and local taxing jurisdictions.
- Representation of Internet Service Provider in various asset acquisitions and mergers.
- Representation of a Colorado resident in the purchase of a Helicopter Pilot Training school in Hawaii including communications and negotiations with the FAA, INS, and local Hawaiian airport authority.
- Representation of a family owned auto body repair shop to a national consolidator, including negotiation with the SBA for the release of the company from a small business loan.
Honors / Distinctions
- Denver Business Journal "2005 Top 40 Under 40"
- University of Denver Law Review, Articles Editor 1992-1993
- American Jurisprudence Award - Administrative Law
Admitted to Practice Before
- Admitted in Colorado
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- CK Catholic Education Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2009-present
- The Design Council, Board of Directors 2004-2006
- Paragon Theatre Co., Chair, 2006-2008; Board of Directors, 2002-2012
- CultureHaus, Co-Chair, 1999-2001; Board of Directors, 1999-2003
- Children's Hospital Foundation - Corporate Committee, 2001 & 2002
- Colorado Business Committee for the Arts, Leadership Arts Program, 2000-2001
- Great Art for a Great City Committee, Member, 1999